I recite the following ‘qunoot dua’ in the third raka’ah of the witr salah. Someone recently confronted me stating that there is no basis or evidence for this qunoot. Can you kindly clarify?
Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Jazka Allah for contacting us for your query.
To answer your concern, kindly note that the ‘qunoot supplication’ you have described is valid and found in numerous reliable hadiths & reports. Here below I point out some reports with relevant references.
- This qunoot was taught to the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) by the angel Jibrail. (See Abu Dawood & Mudawwanat Al Kubra)
- This qunoot was recited by the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) in witr. (See Baihaqi)
- This qunoot was recited by Umar Ibn Al Khattab (r). (See Tahawee, Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaibah, Sunan Al Baihaqi & Kanz Al Ummal)
- Ali Ibn Abi Talib (r) would recite this qunoot. (See Al Mudawwanah & I’elaa Al Sunan)
- Ibn Abbas (r) states, this qunoot was recited by Abbas (r) and also by Abu Musa (r). (See Al Itqaan)
It should be noted that reciting the above qunoot in witr prayer, is considered sunnah according to the Hanafi school, however other reported wordings of the qunoot prayer may also be recited or preferably attached to this qunoot. (See Al Dur, Rad Al Muhtaar & I’elaa Al Sunan)
And Allah Knows Best.